Careers at OncoMed
OncoMed, a pioneer and leader in the development of novel cancer therapies directed toward tumor initiating cells, also known as “cancer stem cells”, fosters a culture of innovation as the company strives to provide significant alternatives for the treatment of cancer.
Headquartered in Redwood City, California, our employees bring a passionate dedication to the advancement of novel treatments for patients with cancer.
Senior Medical or Medical Director, Oncology (MD)
OncoMed is a clinical-stage company focused on discovering and developing novel therapeutics targeting cancer stem cells. OncoMed has five anti-cancer product candidates in clinical development, including demcizumab (Anti-DLL4, OMP-21M18,), OMP-59R5 (Anti-Notch2/3), OMP-52M51 (Anti-Notch1), vantictumab (Anti-FZD7, OMP-18R5), and OMP-54F28 (Fzd8-Fc), which target key cancer stem cell signaling pathways including Notch and Wnt. OncoMed has two other antibodies in preclinical development with Investigational New Drug filings planned for as early as 2014. OncoMed is also pursuing discovery of additional novel anti-CSC product candidates.
OncoMed is now looking for a highly motivated individual to join the Clinical Development team. The ideal candidate should have extensive experience in biotechnology and a proven track record in the clinical development of Oncology drug candidates. The Medical Director will be involved in one or more clinical programs stretching from first-in-human to proof-of-concept studies. The Medical Director will collaborate closely with the Translational Research and Biomarker groups and be responsible for the science-driven design, implementation, monitoring, analysis and reporting of clinical studies.
- Closely interact with the Translational Research and Biomarker groups to design and implement biomarker strategies for science-driven clinical programs
- Create and implement clinical development plans with a focus on early clinical development
- Design, execute and complete Phase 1a, Phase 1b and/or Phase 2 trials
- Select, qualify and maintain excellent relationships with clinical investigators
- Contribute to the selection and oversight of CROs
- Perform data analysis of clinical trials and report results
- Contribute to the authoring and review of regulatory documents (Annual Report, Investigator Brochure, responses to information requests, etc.)
- Develop and maintain relationships with outside experts as needed to achieve clinical development goals
- MD (or non-US equivalent)
- Board eligible/certified (or non-US equivalent)
- Oncology training strongly preferred
- Minimum of 4 years of related clinical experience, minimum of 2 years of biotech/pharmaceutical industry experience
- Ability to design and implement clinical development plan
- Ability to evaluate, interpret and present complex scientific data
- Knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements
- Ability to build and maintain relationships with clinical collaborators
- Collaborative spirit
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
Director of Informatics
This position will lead an informatics team that focuses on developing and maintaining informatics applications and systems and provides project-based informatics support to scientific staff with a strong emphasis on supporting the translational medicine group. Expertise in developing informatics applications is required, as well as experience in general software and database development best practices. This position requires understanding of how to utilize computational/bio-computing resources to aid in drug development projects and R&D programs.
- Manage a bioinformatics team that provides application and systems development in support of all scientific projects as well as project based informatics support and strategy to project teams and Translational Medicine / Clinical Biomarker group.
- Ability to manage diverse projects with diverse business partners.
- Organize and lead the Informatics group to ensure a robust and scalable end to end working informatics pipeline and work with customers and other teams to provide custom informatics analysis and solutions.
- Actively participate in the development of software projects.
- Analyze, document, and translate the needs of R&D groups into technical designs and informatics solutions.
- Provide critical assessment of experimental data to identify patterns that improve content usability to answer core questions.
- Provide accurate scoping and estimation of development efforts for projects based on product requirements and a solid grasp of the relevant bioinformatics tools.
- Maintain high level of professional expertise through familiarity with current scientific literature, competing technologies and/or products and attendance of scientific seminars and meetings.
- Investigate, create, and develop new methods and technologies for project advancement.
- Communicate and coordinate with leadership to promote effective systems development.
- When needed, select external vendors and consultants and manage engagements.
- Ph.D. in Bioinformatics, Molecular Biology, or other Life Science with extensive experience (> 10 yrs) in developing scientific software, pipelines and systems.
- Management experience and management experience of senior personnel required.
- Significant experience in software development processes, best practices, and in and translating the needs of R&D groups into technical designs and informatics solutions.
- Proven understanding and experience in the fields of basic molecular biology, genomics, clinical biomarkers, experimental data processing, and high-throughput data analysis is a must. Understanding of cancer biology and antibody engineering is a plus.
- Direct experience processing NGS data is desired. Candidates should be familiar with the limitations of the various NGS platforms and informatics pipelines.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to interpret and summarize scientific results in a clear, concise and accurate manner. Excellent technical and non-technical communicator.
IT Network Administrator
The Network Administrator will be directly responsible for the successful implementation, operation, and support of OncoMed servers, network infrastructure and services. The Network Administrator is responsible for installation, configuration, and maintenance of Microsoft Windows and RedHat Linux operating systems, network infrastructure devices and equipment; troubleshooting server-based hardware, OS and software problems, managing Active Directory, backup and restoration, applying server patches, applying best practices for network security, installing applications, configuring switches, ESXi servers, and providing end-users support.
- Ensure the 24 x 7 availability of network services for the business in all production servers
- Monitor, analyze, and support the operation of the LAN/WAN infrastructure to ensure reliable, secure, and efficient day-to-day network operations
- Configure, setup, and manage switches, routers, firewalls, wireless devices, Radius server
- Maintain and support end user IPSec and SSL remote-access VPN solutions
- Analyze, document, and translate the needs of R&D groups into technical designs and informatics solutions.
- Administer and support corporate wireless networks including access points, authentication mechanisms and security
- Maintain high-level and detailed network diagrams for all sections of the LAN
- Manage Symantec backup and restore system and Ghost imaging system
- Collaborate and coordinate with all IT and internal business groups to manage projects
- Maintain servers for minimal downtime
- Provide end-user support
- Bachelor’s degree in a technology related field or equivalent training
- Proficient with Windows and Unix/Linux experience at System Administrator level
- 2 – 3 years hands-on experience in installing and managing Windows servers and MAC OS, Active Directory, Microsoft Exchange, DNS, RAID, switches, network configurations and hardware maintenance
- 2 – 3 years experience in installing and managing Linux RedHat virtual and physical machines, Apache, Tomcat and etc
- Strong understanding of firewall, switches, VLAN/WAN
- Experience with virtualization solutions such as VMWare (including ESXi, Vsphere, vCenter)
- Experience in supporting mobile devices, including iPhone, Android and others for internal teams
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Solid technical working knowledge and hands-on experience with Cisco network and network security products
- Linux - Command line tools, shell scripting, Software package RPM installations, Setting up auto start at different run levels
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team
Immunology (Senior) Scientist
OncoMed is seeking an outstanding, innovative (Senior) Scientist to work on the discovery of novel approaches to target
cancer via regulation of immune surveillance. The candidate will be responsible for investigating mechanisms of
interplay between cancer cells and host immune system in murine tumor models. Successful candidate will collaborate
with other scientists throughout the company on the discovery and development of therapeutic proteins and antibodies
to novel cancer stem cell targets.
- Ph.D. in cancer immunology and >5 years of post-doctoral training
- Industry experience is plus
- Keeping up to date with current research field
- Strong in vivo skills with genetically engineered mice including various dosing and rodent surgery
- Strong in vitro skills including but not limited to tissue culture, molecular biology (RNA/DNA isolation, clonining, and gene expression analysis, etc), and protein analysis (ELISA, Immunoprecipitation, and Western Blotting, etc)
- Expertise on immunological assays
- Isolation of various cell populations from mice and ex vivo characterization
- Solid publication record demonstrating innovative research
- Motivation to learn new scientific techniques and to work in a team environment
- Strong desire to work in a dynamic environment
- Ability to multitask and thrive in a fast-paced and challenging environment
- Excellent oral/written communication and interpersonal skills
- Good lab notebook recording
Director of Clinical Operations
Responsible for the planning, implementation and conduct of global clinical trials in a fast paced oncology focused company.
Provide operational leadership and ensure the successful implementation of multiple global Phase 2 clinical development programs.
Drive the planning of study program timelines and budgets to ensure internal and external program milestones are met.
Accountable for the quality of the data and work product for all outsourced services including: clinical operations, data
management, biostatistics, regulatory and pharmacovigilance.
- Candidate must have a min. BS/BA degree and at least eight to ten (8 - 10) years clinical operations/development experience
- Recent experience with outsourcing and launching global oncology studies is a requirement for this position. Responsible for all clinical operations activities for multiple early phase studies specifically focused on the execution of clinical studies based upon corporate goals and objectives. Oversee the tactical implementation of the clinical development plan for all assigned clinical programs by managing the site contracts, budget, timelines, CRO resources, enrollment, and site activities.
- Develop and execute a proactive strategy to ensure that all assigned clinical study operations activities are conducted efficiently, meet enrollment goals, and are in compliance with all applicable regulations and corporate policies and procedures
- Oversee the data collection activities for all assigned clinical programs. Provide input on CRF design and ensure quality data is monitored and available to support annual reports, investigator brochures, regulatory filings, and safety summaries
- Participate in the evaluation, selection and management of CROs, contractors, and vendors. Manage overall clinical trial budget and timelines for all assigned clinical programs. Develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal team and external partners
- Identify issues that may impact the overall project plans and initiate contingency plans, as appropriate. Provide positive, professional leadership as a Clinical Operations representative for OncoMed Pharmaceuticals
- Proven knowledge of the drug development process, Good Clinical Practices and FDA regulatory requirements
- Ability to lead and drive program planning and delivery in collaboration with CRO partners
- Proven problem-solving skills to prevent and overcome complex safety and compliance related issues during clinical program implementation and execution
- Willingness to take on a wide range of responsibilities with limited resources
- Highly organized and able to prioritize and handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Experience with conducting early Phase oncology clinical trials
- Experience with management of multiple services for multinational clinical trials
- CRA site monitoring and CRO management experience
- Experience with clinical database build and eCRF design
- Ability to independently solve problems related to CRO and site management activities
- Reports to Sr. Director, Clinical Operations
SR. ANIMAL CARE TECHNICIAN (Employment policy Temp to Permanent through OncoMed directly)
Senior Animal Care Technician is responsible for a variety of diverse activities contributing to providing the ethical and highest
quality of animal care. This includes numerous animal husbandry tasks (cage changing, providing feed, water, and bedding, etc.)
performing animal health observation, monitoring environmental parameters accomplishing room and equipment sanitization and record
keeping. All activities are performed in accordance with applicable state and federal laws, regulations and guidelines, approved
experimental protocols and accepted animal care practices. There is an expectation for research associate responsibilities
including dosing, surgical prep, etc.
- Animal cage preparation, changing, disposing of soiled bedding and washing cages.
- Provide food, water, and enrichment supplies to animals on a scheduled basis.
- Observe animal health status and record abnormal findings.
- Perform daily inventory of animals.
- Euthanize animals in accordance with AVMA guidelines and prepare carcasses for disposal.
- Perform proper animal handling and restraint.
- Maintain inventory of supplies in animal rooms, procedure suites and support areas.
- Record daily environmental conditions throughout facility.
- Perform daily and weekly housekeeping duties such as dusting, sweeping, mopping, and disinfecting floors in animal rooms, procedure suites and support areas
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions and perform repetitive responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Interpret and follow documents such as SOP's, safety rules, procedure manuals on operations and maintenance of facility.
- Basic computer skills, such as Word, e-mail, etc.
- Possess physical capability to perform job responsibilities including lifting of 50 lbs.
- Candidates must be willing to work with animals in a research environment, and to provide humane care and treatment of these research animals.
- Experienced knowledge of animal husbandry with minimum AALAS certification at the ALAT level, LAT or LATG preferred
- HOURS: 7:00 AM TO 3:30 PM, 40 hours per week. Some flexibility in hours may be accommodated. Some overtime may be required. Weekend and holidays on rotation is required